Tuesday, May 12, 2009

May 11, 2009 - New Things


After last week's show, I asked John Campbell if he had any suggestions for this week. He told me that I should choose songs from some of the most recent cd's that I have picked up. I had just picked up new albums from The Smithereens, Cracker, Steve Wynn and The Milk & Honey Band, plus reissues from The Dukes Of Stratosphear. Then, later in the week, I heard from Lou Luca that The BB's had just released a new song called Carrie. That gave me the last song that I needed for the week.


Carrie was written by Ron Cianciaruso as a tribute to his mother, who passed away in 1988. Lou Luca added beautiful music to Ron's lyrics and sang his heart out on the song. Ron sent me a little spoken word intro that we played along with the song and playing it the day after Mother's Day seemed very appropriate.



As for the other stuff for this week...
The Smithereens have just released the latest installment to their "re-recording the classics" series. This time they have covered The Who's Tommy. They cut it down to 13 tracks and about 43 minutes of Classic Who rock, Smithereens style!

Last week Cracker released their 11th album, Sunrise In The Land Of Milk And Honey. The Milk And Honey Band has a new album called Dog Eared Moonlight and Steve Wynn And The Dragon Bridge Orchestra have just released a live album and DVD, Live In Belgium. On top of that, John managed to dig up the Donohue theme song which I thought he had lost (he had, but now has found). Anyway, here is what was played:



The Smithereens - Go To The Mirror
Joe Marra with The BB's - Donohue Theme
The BB's - Carrie
The Smithereens - Sensation
Steve Wynn - Slovenian Rhapsody (live)
The Milk And Honey Band - Just You
Cracker - Time Machine
The Dukes Of Stratosphear - You're My Drug
Cracker - Darling One
The Dukes Of Stratosphear - Shiny Cage


There was no show to kick us off the air, so we ran a little over. That meant I got close to an hour, which was very cool. Next week we get to do it all over again and then on June 1st, we will have a special show for my one year anniversary. I'm definitely looking forward to that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment