Monday, May 4, 2009

May 4, 2009 - Richard X. Heyman, Tommy Keene & Matt Keating


This week started out with bad news and good news. The bad news was that Don Dixon made the announcement that he would no longer be touring because it just wasn't cost effective any more. But the good news is that Dixon has agreed to be a guest on the show. I can't wait for that to happen since he is one of my all-time favorites (which you probably know if you have been reading this blog). John managed to see Dixon and The Jump Rabbits last month in Virginia. It was his first time seeing him and he was impressed. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the show in Long Branch and after Don's announcement, I'm very upset that I couldn't make it to the show. But at least I saw them last June and I got to see Arrogance back in March, which were both great shows. Now what to play for this week?


Several months ago, I had decided to spotlight Richard X. Heyman. I pulled out all of his cd's and started to figure out what I wanted to play. Then at some point while I was putting all of this together, I had new inspiration and went in a completely different direction. I figured I would use Heyman at a later date. A couple weeks ago, when Chris Arduser was on the show, he mentioned to John, off the air, that he should check out Richard X. Heyman. John told me this and I said "yes you should". I decided at that point that now was a good time to finally get to RXH. In addition to him, I decided to include two other solo artists that I am a big fan of: Matt Keating and Tommy Keene.

All three artists are big favorites of mine and I wish more people knew who they were. I've seen Heyman live twice but have never seen Keene and Keating. Hopefully one day. I managed to get nine tracks played during my 45 minutes. The more music I get to play, the better it is. Here is what I played.


Richard X. Heyman - Too Little Too Late
Richard X. Heyman - Civil War Buff
Richard X. Heyman - Hoosier (Girl)
Richard X. Heyman - Sidetracked
Tommy Keene - Places That Are Gone
The Keene Brothers - Evil vs. Evil
Tommy Keene - Don't Sleep In The Daytime
Matt Keating - Emily
Matt Keating - Pull Some Strings (demo)


I thought we were going to play The Doughboys version of Too Little Too Late, but John played the solo version instead. Maybe we'll play the Doughboys version on a future show.



One interesting note. Tommy Keene was mentioned in the George Pelecanos novel The Sweet Forever. One of the main characters went to see Keene perform live in the book. Pelecanos is a very good crime novelist with great taste in music and if you don't know who he is, check him out at http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/features/georgepelecanos/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment