Tuesday, July 14, 2009

July 13, 2009 - Nothing but Ken Stringfellow!


Several weeks ago (actually it was right before I got to his apartment the last time I was down there) John conducted a phone interview with Ken Stringfellow. For those who don't know who Ken Stringfellow is, he was a founding member of The Posies and is currently the leader of The Disciplines. He has also been a member of Big Star for the past 15 years, is one of the many adjunct members of The Minus 5 and was one of the R.E.M. sidemen for several years. He's probably the busiest musician that John has ever interviewed.


John chose last night to air the pre-recorded interview, so I chose last night to play nothing but songs that Ken Stringfellow has appeared on. To give John enough material to cover his part of the show AND my part of the show, I sent him 35 songs for him to choose from. We ended up playing 20 of those 35, which was a lot more than I ever expected to be used. But then again, the show ran until 10:45pm instead of ending at 10pm, so that is part of the reason. To accompany the interview, John played these songs:


The Disciplines - Get It Right
The Posies - Flavor Of The Month (acoustic)
The Disciplines - Oslo
The Disciplines - Yours For The Taking
The Disciplines - Best Mistake
Ken Stringfellow - One Morning
The Minus 5 - Emperor Of The Bathroom



At this point John played the "Donohue Theme" which began my segment. John had been on a conference call since the show began and he hung up on the call because he couldn't hear me. The real reason why he couldn't hear me was because his headphones were plugged into his laptop instead of the board at the station. Classic John Campbell!!! Anyway, here is what I played:


Ken Stringfellow - Ask Me No Questions
Big Star - Best Chance
The Posies - I May Hate You SOmetimes
Chariot - Black Is Black
Chariot - Him Or Me
Saltine - Find Yourself Alone
The Loud Family - Still Its Own Reward
The Minus 5 - A Thousand Years Away
The Minus 5 - What I Don't Believe
The Posies - Solar Sister (demo)
The Posies - Daily Mutilation (demo)
Big Star - Hung Up With Summer
The Disciplines - Wrong Lane


I've never seen The Posies play live. I did see Ken once at The Mercury Lounge. He was the opener and did a solo set then played keyboards with the Minus 5 (who were augmented by Dennis Diken on percussion that night) While I was away last month, Ken Stringfellow opened for Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3 and then the following night, The Posies played the same venue. Had I been home, I probably would have been at both shows. Oh well!


John is on vacation next week so there will be no show. We'll be back on July 27th, which gives me two weeks to figure out what I am playing. I'm sure I'll still wait until the last minute. It's more fun that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment