Tuesday, August 4, 2009

August 3, 2009: 1990-1995


After last weeks show, John asked me what I had planned for this week. I told him that I hadn't decided yet. He then suggested that I pick the years 1990-1995 and pick some good music from that period, so that is what I did.


John's guest was once again, Richard X. Heyman, so to keep some continuity, I threw in a song off his Hey Man! disc along with a song by The Rooks, which RXH played on and co-produced. I had wanted to play some Jamie Hoover, who will be next week's guest, but John has all my Jamie Hoover cd's. Fortunately, John played Jack In The Box, from Jamie's solo debut Coupons, Questions, and Comments, earlier in the show.


I originally had about 50 songs which I pared down to 25. I then cut those 25 down to 18 and of those 18, 13 were played on the show. There was a little bit of everything. Some Cavedogs for the people who liked them last week. Some Non-Concrete Blonde Johnette Napolitano, some indie "supergroups" (The Setters & The Grays) and a little taste of the bizarre (Bongwater). Here is what was played, followed by the year it came from:


The Cavedogs - Leave Me Alone (1990)
The Rooks - Love Said To Me (1993)
Richard X. Heyman - Loud (1991)
The High Llamas - Put Yourself Down (1992)
The Candy Skins - Freedom Bus (1991)
Zumpano - The Party Rages On (1994)
Sam Phillips - Baby I Can't Please You (1994)
Bongwarter - Women Tied Up In Knots (1991)
The Merrymakers - Don't Tell Me (1995)
Pretty & Twisted - Billy (1995)
Vowel Movement - I Don't Wanna (1995)
The Setters - Helpless (1992)
The Grays - Very Best Years(1994)



I will be on vacation next weeek, but I will still be around to do the show. Next Monday is the birthday of two of my closest friends (you know who you are) and I hope to have a nice surprise or two in store for that show. Maybe a brand new, never before heard song by one of our regular contributors and also different versions of some well known songs. On top of that, John will be interviewing power pop LEGEND Jamie Hoover. It should be a great show!!

No comments:

Post a Comment