Thursday, August 27, 2009

August 24, 2009 - Children of Nuggets


There was no show last week because John was on vacation. That gave me two full weeks to put music together for this show. With two weeks, I should have had plenty of time to put something together, but as usual, I waited until the last minute. I was away for a good chunk of those two weeks and on Sunday afternoon I realized I was running out of time to put something together.


One of the things I had been listening to recently was a 4-disc rhino box set called Children of Nuggets. The original Nuggets was put together by Lenny Kaye to chronicle the garage rock and psychedelic music of the sixties. The original double album led to many more volumes in the 70's and 80's. Then as CD's took over, three cd's were released containing highlights from the original albums. In 1998, Rhino released a 4-disc Nuggets Box Set. In 2001 a 2nd 4-disc Nuggets set was released. Then in 2005, Children of Nuggets came out. This was a 4-disc set containing 100 tracks from the "second psychedelic era". The majority of songs from this set were from the ealy and mid-80's but it covered the years 1976-1994. If you are a fan of early 80's garage and psychedelic music, this set is a MUST HAVE! I narrowed the 100 tracks down to 18 and of those 18, we played 14. Here is what we played:


Primal Scream - Gentle Tuesday
Chris Stamey & The dB's - (I Thought You) Wanted To Know)
Nashville Ramblers - The Trains
The Bangs - Getting Out Of Hand
The Prisoners - Whenever I'm Gone
The Church - The Unguarded Moment
The Dream Syndicate - Tell Me When It's Over
Green On Red - Death And Angels
The Vipers - Cheated And Lied
The Plimsouls - Hypnotized
The Nerves - One Way Ticket
The Spongetones - She Goes Out With Everybody
The Times - I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape
The Lyres - Help You Ann


Next week is our last show of the summer. We're off the following week for Labor Day. The show has been extended to 10:30 for most of the summer but that all ends after next week's show. The Mark Zito show is back starting in September, which means that we will back to saying goodnight at 10pm. Losing that extra half hour will cut my segment down significantly, which means I start playing fewer songs again. I've got one more "long show" to plan. I wonder what it will be. Tune in on August 24th to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment