Wednesday, March 3, 2010

March 1, 2010 - All roads lead to.....Hate!


I tried something a little different for this week. I went back to a specific theme and that theme was the word "hate". Every song I played hat the word hate in the title. It wasn't originally planned that way but the first couple songs had hate in the title and from there I just went with it.


Over the weekend John announced on facebook what I would be doing and a couple people questoned the "subject matter". I think this was a good way of showing that hate is not necessarily a bad thing and just because a song had a negative word in the title, that doesn't mean it is a negative song. Some of the songs were downright uplifting! Maybe one day I'll do a "love" show and I'm sure some of those songs will be more depressing and negative than most of these "hate" songs.


As usual, I sent John more songs than I would need. Then right before the show started I remembered the song Hatred, by The Kinks. I sent it to John but he was unable to download it, so that gem of "brotherhood love" will have to wait for another day. I still had 19 songs to choose from which was more than enough. But John didn't have a guest lined up and decided that even though I came on at 8:20, that I was going to go to the end of the show. We played all 19 songs and ended the show a couple minutes before 10pm. Here's what we played:


The Montgomerys - I Hate Everything Today
Sloan - I Hate My Generation
All - I Hate To Love
Cracker - I Hate My Generation
Graham Parker - Turn It Into Hate
Stephen Bruton - Hate To Love
Will Ray - I Hate My Day Job
Episode Six - Love Hate Revenge
The Posies - Hate Song

Saturday Morning Pictures - It's Cool To Hate The Singer
The Pursuit Of Happiness - Hate Engine
Young Fresh Fellows - New Day I Hate
The Libertines - Campaign Of Hate
Hüsker Du - Hate Paper Doll
Little Feat - Hate To Lose Your Lovin'
Chris Mars - Hate It
The Hives - Hate To Say I Told You So
Shoes - Hate To Run
The Posies - I May Hate You Sometimes



We had 2 different songs called I Hate My Generation and two songs with "hate to love" in the title. Very interesting. The show went over pretty well and I think the experiment was a success. Independents Uncovered turns 2 this week and next Monday is my birthday, so I'm sure the show will be a memorable one. At this point I'm not even sure what time I'll be doing the show, or even if I'll make it at all. But the music will be there with or without me and I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze it into my busy schedule somewhere. Till then....

No comments:

Post a Comment