Tuesday, September 21, 2010

September 20, 2010 - What Are Friends For?


I was really looking forward to last week's show but alas, it didn't happen. John was stuck at work and couldn't make it to the studio, so about an hour before it was scheduled to begin, we had to cancel. The main reason why I was excited was that I was playing some music from some of my good friends and we were going to have a pretty sizable listening audience. The cancellation pushed everything back to this week, which made this week a good show.

Al Knight and Carl Gabel are two thirds of the cover band Frantic! I have seen Frantic! well over one hundred times and Al & Carl, along with drummer Bob Landry and soundgirl Mary Knight are good friends of mine. When I heard that Al & Carl had recorded one of their originals under one of their alternate band names (Yes Mistress), I couldn't wait to hear it. Judy Of The Angels is the song and it did not disappoint. I loved it! Definitely my kind of thing.


Johnny B. Irizarry is one of Lou Luca's closest friends and I met John thru Lou and boy am I glad I met him. He is immensely talented and has a new band called Small Town Sheiks along with his friend Mike Smith. They have a new cd coming out called
Songs For Parker and I couldn't be happier that I was able to play one of their songs before the release of the cd. Can't wait to hear the whole thing!


As long as I was playing music from two of my friends, I might as well go back to my go-to guy, Lou Luca. Lou didn't have anything new for me yet, so I went back to one of my favorites, The BB's song I See Your Love Is There.


These three songs were the centerpiece of this week's show, but the rest of the music was pretty good too. I had brand new songs from The Graveblankets, The Baseball Project, Richard Thompson and a new project called Angelfire, which is Steve Morse along with singer Sarah Spencer. I went back to the 60's for forgotten gems from The Zombies, The Hollies and Terry Reid and I even got to play a song from forgotten 90's Surf band, Spies Who Surf (which also involved me having to explain the meaning of the song title, which led to much awkwardness!). Anyway, here's the complete song list for this week:


The Virtues - Idiot Box
The Red Button - Ooh Girl
The Baseball Project - DL Blues
The BB's - I See Your Love Is There
Small Town Sheiks - Can You Feel It
Yes Mistress - Judy Of The Angels
Terry Reid - Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Peace
The Hollies - Heading For A Fall
The Zombies - Leave Me Be
The Graveblankets - Sloganeering
Richard Thompson - The Money Shuffle (demo)
Steve Morse & Sarah Spencer (Angelfire) - Terrible Things To Lose
Spies Who Surf - Necrophiliac



John had originally planned for the month of September to be "Women In Music" month, but this was our first show for September. Next week I will jump on that "Women In Music" bandwagon and scour my collection for some great music from some wonderful ladies. If you want to see what I choose, you'll have to listen in next Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment