Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October 11, 2010 - The Phone Lines Are Working Again!


The last two weeks were dedicated to the women. Thirty Five songs from some amazingly talented musicians. After the last two weeks, I decided to go in a different direction. But before I even went on the air, something "magical" happened, that hasn't happened in awhile. And all it took was a working phone line.


For the last couple months, the phone lines at the radio station haven't been working and my segments have been done with John holding his cellphone up to the microphone. Each week I would call in hoping the phones would work but nothing would happen. Then I would call his cell and we'd go from there. This time, however, it actually worked. After weeks of sounding like I was coming out of a broken am radio, it was nice to actually be HEARD for a change.


I had no real theme for this week, but I did go with themed blocks of music. The first block of 3 songs were all brand new. The second block was all live. The third block contained re-recording of songs by the original artists. The 4th block came from classic "bar bands" and the final block was whatever I had time for before the next segment.


John had guests live in the studio at 9:15 so I came on at exactly 8:00 for what may have been the first time ever. A Cat Called Cricket(John's guests) showed up a little before 9:00 and by 9:15 I was done and they were ready to go. I got through 15 of the 18 tracks I sent for the week. The remaining three will be used sometime in November, but here are the 15 that were played:


The Posies - Plastic Paperbacks
The Baseball Project - The Way It's Gonna Be
The Posies - So Caroline
Todd Rundgren - Hodja (Live)
Joe Jackson Band - One More Time (Live)
Split Enz - Years Go By (Live)
Ray Davies w/The Crouch End Festival Choir - Waterloo Sunset

Cracker - The World Is Mine
Squeeze - Is That Love
The Morells - The Man Who Has Everything
NRBQ - Little Floater
The Skeletons - Very Last Day
The Offbeat - When You Got Love
Crosley - Automatic
The Graveblankets - Bad Decisions



For next week's show, I think I'll go back to high school. I was still listening to commercial radio back then, but commercial radio was a lot better back then. I'll be covering the years 1980-1984 and playing a bunch of things I was listening to then. Some tracks I haven't heard in many years. Some I still listen to regularly. I'll try and stay away from some of the bigger hits and stick to some that could be considered "forgotten gems". This should be fun figuring out what to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment