Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October 4, 2010 - The Ladies Are Still Rockin...



The month of September is over, but John decided to extend "women in music" month for one more week. That meant one final show dedicated to music from some very talented women.


I posted on my facebook page some of the artists that I would be playing and my sister Julie requested Tom Cat Goodbye from Laura Nyro. Unfortunately I didn't have a digital version of that song to play. I hope Julie was ok with the song I chose. In addition to Julie, we also had regular listeners Lou, Ron and Sammy plus the return of long-time listeners Barbara & Liz, who have been missing lately for various reasons. Great to have you both back and thank you to everyone who listened!

Anyway, once again, John had no guest. That meant more airtime for me and more great music to play. I tried to cover all the bases and the music spanned the years 1968-2010. There were a couple songs that John didn't like. There was one that Lou didn't like. There was one that got Barbara singing along and there was one that Liz thought was Suzi Quatro, not realizing that this version was the original and Suzi's was the cover. Here's what was played on the show:

Neko Case - People Got A Lotta Nerve
The Graveblankets (Bridget Otto) - Less Blue
Concrete Blonde (Johnette Napolitano) - Probably Will
Laura Nyro - Eli's Coming
Karla Bonoff - If He's Ever Near
Robert Fripp (Terre Roche) - Mary
Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs - Baby Blue
Buckingham Nicks (Stevie Nicks) - Crying In The Night
Grace Slick - Seasons
Richard & Linda Thompson - Did She Jump Or Was She Pushed
Alison Faith Levy - Monkey Bars
Hedwig & The Angry Inch (Miriam Shor) - Random Number Generation
Julia Greenberg - Pitiful You
Ann Klein - Just The Gardener
The Heaters (Theresa Robertson) - I've Never Been In Love
Mary Timony Band - Sharpshooter
Steve Morse & Sarah Spencer - Far Gone Now



I had sent John 35 songs, figuring that would be enough for three weeks of shows. But two weeks without guests meant more time for me and all 35 were played in tweo weeks. That leaves me nothing left for next week, so it's time to go in a different direction. I'm not sure what direction that will be yet. I guess you'll have to tune in next week to find out....or at least read it here!

At least now I know that this blog doesn't go entirely unread. Thank you Lizzie Bratko for reading the blog and for checking out all the music that is mentioned in it. I'm glad it serves some purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment