Tuesday, February 15, 2011

February 14, 2011 - Valentine's Day, Tommy Keene and More


We were supposed to have a show last week. It didn't happen. John was forced to cancel the show at the last minute. The cancellation pushed everything back a week so last week's show was moved to this week, which also happened to be Valentine's Day.


Guitar legend Gary Moore passed away last week at the age of 58. I've been a fan of Gary Moore since I first heard him in the early 80's. He was one of the most diverse players there was, from his progressive rock/fusion work with Colosseum II in the mid 70's to his off and on work with Thin Lizzy and Phil Lynott. From his early 80's with Greg Lake to his guest appearance on Cozy Powell's Tilt. From his hard rock solo career in the 80's to his blues work in the 90's and everyone after that, he was a true talent who could do it all and he will be missed!


After hearing of his passing, I had re-arranged last weeks show to play several Gary Moore songs. After pushing the show back, more rearranging was made and I only played two songs. I played his best known blues song and a song from his mid 90's collaboration with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, known as BBM.


There were a few things that I've been wanting to play for a long time, so I added them to the list for this week, then I finished off with some music to lead into the interview. John's interview this week was Tommy Keene, and since I was the one who turned John onto Tommy's music, I had to throw in some of that in as well. The show had a hard end time of 10pm, so I only had time to play four songs. I chose his best known song, two covers and one song from his collaboration with GBV's Robert Pollard. Here's what I had time to play this week:


Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues
BBM - Where In The World
Matt Keating - McHappiness
Hindu Rodeo - McLife
Jason Falkner - Author Unknown
Jellyfish - The King Is Half Undressed
Guided By Voices - Game Of Pricks
The Keene Brothers - Island Of Lost Lucys
Tommy Keene - Kill Your Sons
Tommy Keene - Carrie Anne
Tommy Keene - Places That Are Gone



During the interview, John played these songs from Tommy Keene:
Tomorrow's Gone Tonight from In The Late Bright
Please Don't Come Around from In The Late Bright
Late Bright from In The Late Bright
Nightmare Crime Scene from In The Late Bright
Turning On Blue from Ten Years After



I enjoyed the interview and learned a lot about Tommy Keene from it. Next Monday is President's Day but fear not. The show will go on! I don't think there are any guests lined up so it will be a full show of music. I guess I should pick some good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment