Monday, February 21, 2011

February 21, 2011 - President's Day and the End is in Sight.


Early Monday morning, John made the announcement that February 28th will be the final show for Independents Uncovered. We had been discussing when to end the show and had decided on a date later in the year. But several things happened and it was decided to end sooner rather than later. That made this show the penultimate Donohue's Music Den. Wow!


I had no real theme for this week's show. The main goal was to play some music by artists that I am a big fan of, but have been underrepresented on the show. Artists like John Hiatt, Warren Zevon, XTC, The Fall, Morphine and Guided By Voices should have been played more often, so I had to get them in before the end.


In addition, The Baseball Project has a brand new album coming out next Tuesday called High And Inside. This album has 13 more baseball-themed songs which are great. With so many to choose from, it was tough to pick one, but I went with the humor and relevance of the San Francisco Giants. Here is the list of music that I played:


John Hiatt - Slow Turning
Warren Zevon - Hasten Down The Wind
Richard Thompson - MGB-GT
Robert Crenshaw - I Love To Pretend
Marshall Crenshaw - Dime A Dozen Guy
Guided By Voices - Echos Myron
Beat Farmers - God Is Here Tonight
Gutterball - Trial Separation Blues
The Fall - Dead Beat Descendent
The Baseball Project - Panda And The Freak
XTC - Generals And Majors
Morphine - Mary Won't You Call My Name
XTC - No Thugs In Our House



Next week will be our final show. We knew the end was coming, but it came kind of suddenly and there is so much that I want to play. John and I are working on how we will go out. I can just about guarantee I'll be finishing up with some of my "go to music:. That would be some of my favorite bands and also many of my friends. Next Monday is your last chance to check out the show. I hope you can join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment