Monday, January 26, 2009

January 26th - John Interviews Scott Miller



On this show, John interviewed Scott Miller (the REAL Scott Miller, not the other guy from Virginia).

Scott is a brilliant songwriter and a genuinely nice guy. He led Game Theory in the 80's and The Loud Family in the 90's. His most recent album was a 2006 collaboration with Anton Barbeau called What If It Works? John did not know much about Scott before I educated him. Fortunately John decided to contact Scott and he agreed to be on the show. I thought the interview was great! Scott was very interesting and I didn't want it to end. He has agreed to come back on the show at some point in the future and I hope they can work it out because I'm looking forward to see what else he has to say.

John started the interview by playing the first two tracks off 1987's Lolita Nation, which was one of the best albums released in the 80's. He played Kenneth, What's The Frequency and Not Because You Can. During the interview he played Take Me Down (Too Halloo) from the 1993 debut Loud Family Album Plants And Birds And Rocks And Things (yes, the album was named after a line in the America song A Horse With No Name). He also played two songs from What If It Works? - Anton Barbeau's Pop Song 99 and Scott's Total Mass Destruction.
I thought it was one of the best interviews John has done and hopefully they keep getting better from here.

Right before my segment started, John played Astral Man, by the Grip Weeds. Kurt Reil of the Grip Weeds will be the guest on next week's show. During my segments (40 minutes this week, which was much better than last week's 10 minutes), I played:

Mitch Easter - 1 1/2 Way Street from Dynamico
Anton Barbeau - King Of Missouri from King Of Missouri
Gil Ray - To The Stars from I Am Atomic Man!
The Grip Weeds - Ain't No Big Thing, Babe from Infinite Soul
Alison Faith Levy - The Apprentice from My World View
Shalini - The Surface And The Shine from The Surface And The Shine

Next week I will have to find some sort of complimentary music to The Grip Weeds. I will probably play one or two versions of I Can Hear The Grass Grow, but other than that you'll have to tune in to find out what I pick. Till then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment