Tuesday, September 1, 2009

August 31, 2009 - Brought To You By The Letter F!


Back in January, for the first show of the year, I chose artists that begin with the letter A. This week I chose to continue that with the Letter F! What happened to letters B-E? I'll probably get around to them at some point, but this time I decided to go with F.


Last week I was having major computer problems and was not able to listen to the show. Those problems seem to be solved, but last night there were phone problems. At first I couldn't dial in to the station. The reason for that was because John had received a call earlier in the evening and had forgotten to hang up when it was over. Once he hung up the phone I was able to call in, but we had a lousy connection. It sounded like I was speaking from underneath a waterfall. Oh well, it seems to be something different every week.


John's guest was Ed Neenan from E Joseph and the Phantom Hearts. He brought his guitar into the studio and played several songs live in the studio. He sounded great! I definitely want to hear more of his music. John accompanied him (badly) on shaker. I think John was listening to a different song while "shaking". Because Ed was so great to listen to and because of the phone problems, I didn't get on the air until 9:45pm. John felt like running late, since it is most likely the last week he'll be able to go past 10pm, so we didn't say goodnight until 11pm. That allowed us to play sixteen of the eighteen songs that I had chosen for the show. Here is what was played:


Rob Fetters - I Don't Fit
Firewater - The Song That Saved My Life
Fossil - Moon
The Figgs - The Trench
Frisbie - Lather
Fury In The Slaughterhouse - Dead Before I Was Born
Foxboro Hot Tubs - Ruby Room
Jennifer Foster - Charlie
The Fame - Get On The Beat
Francine - Set Of Dune
Mike Ford - Late Of October
Fatima Mansions - The Loyaliser
The Forty-Fives - Backstage At Juanita's
Jason Falkner - I Live
Four Eyes - Take It
The Feelies - The Final Word



John eventually found the "Donohue Theme" and played it between Fetters and Firewater. The only songs that I had chosen that didn't get played were What's The Point by Josh Fix and Cold Night by Folk Implosion. Without John realizing it, I managed to sneak in some "non-indie" music with The Foxboro Hot Tubs. For those of you that don't know who they are, they are actually Green Day using a garage rock alter-ego they created last year. I also heard some nice, positive feedback from Kevin Tapee, Lou Luca and Evil Demented Bunny. I'm glad they liked what I was playing.


Next Monday is Labor Day so there will be no show. We will be back on the air on September 14th. School will be in full swing by then, which means Mark Zito will probably be back on the air at 10pm, which means the show will not be running late anymore. I will scale back on the number of songs I send each week and hopefully John will give me more than 10 minutes each week. I guess we'll have to wait and see how everything works out. See you on the 14th!

No comments:

Post a Comment