Tuesday, October 20, 2009

October 19, 2009 - What's New???


This week's show almost didn't happen. As we know, the show starts at 7:30pm. John called me at 7:45 to tell me that he was circling the parking lot looking for a place to park and was about to give up and head home. Fortunately for all of us, he did one more lap and found a spot. But from where he was parked, he had no idea how to get to the radio station. He found his way and was on the air around 8pm.


John had forgotten to bring his usual opener (The Radio Song by Des & Nicola Coffield)so he went back in time and played the song that opened the show for most of its' first year (The Boxer by Carbon Leaf). Since he was so late, he jumped right into the Charlotte Hatherley interview, which was pretty good. Then at 9pm it was time for Donohue's Music Den!


After spotlighting Bob Nyswonger last week, and doing 60's 70's & 80's themes in the last few weeks it was time to come back to the present. So this week I decided to go with music that I had picked up in the last month or so. Most of it was brand new, but there were a couple things that were a little older, including one that went all the way back to 1980! John started us off with Lou Luca's ONniversary and then I followed with these:


D.L. Byron - Listen To The Heartbeat from the album This Day And Age
The Offbeat - She Can Make The Sun Shine from the ep To The Rescue
The Resonars - Sister Sally from That Evil Drone
Jason Falkner - Emotion Machine from All Quiet On The Noise Floor
Coconut Records - Microphone from Davy
Dreaming In Stereo - Misery Loves Companies from Dreaming In Stereo

Chris Church - Bombast, Verbatim from The Heartbreaks You Embrace
George Cunningham - The Upturned Face from Stumblingham
The Black Hollies - Run With Me Run from Softly Towards The Light
Grant-Lee Phillips - Violet from Little Moon
Jon Auer - Pop Music For The Future from the split ep Two For The Money
Cheap Star - Not My Friend from the split ep Two For The Money



I need to thank Johnny B. Irizarry for reminding me that Listen To The Heartbeat existed. It is one of his all time favorite songs and has finally been released on cd. I hadn't heard the song in at least 25 years, but as soon as I heard the song again, I was transported back to 1980 and being 14 years old again. Thanks John!

The George Cunningham track is from 2005 and I was planning on buying it back then. For whatever reason, I never did and didn't get it until a few weeks ago. Very good record! The rest of the material is from 2009 (with one from 2008) and at least half of what I chose was originally recommended to me by Bruce Brodeen from Not Lame records. If you are a power pop fan and have never checked out Not Lame, you don't know what you are missing. Check em out at www.notlame.com.


It's still too early in the week to figure out what I'll be doing next week, but I'm sure it will be interesting and most of it will be stuff that John has never heard before. I do know that I will be playing a brand new, unreleased song by John Irizarry. The first time I heard the song I knew I was going to have to play it on the show. Hopefully you'll like it as much as me. Tune in next Monday to give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment