Tuesday, October 6, 2009

October 5, 2009 - Murray Attaway and a trip back to the 60's!


Murray Attaway was the guest on this installment of Independents Uncovered. For those that don't know, Murray Attaway was the lead singer of Guadalcanal Diary. I was a big Guadalcanal Diary fan back in the late 80's and I found the interview to be very interesting. We even found out that Guadalcanal Diary may be reforming for a few shows in 2010. Who know? Maybe that will lead to something more!

However, the best thing about the interview was that Murray Attaway gave John ELEVEN unreleased songs to play! In the mid-90's he recorded a solo album for Geffen Records. The album has never been released and Geffen owns the masters so there is a good chance it will never see the light of day. This could have been the only chance to hear these songs, and I was very impressed with them. They were all quite good! When I get the song listing from John, I will post it here!


For my section of the show, I had originally planned to continue the Murray Attaway theme by playing songs off his first solo album as well as some lesser known Guadalcanal Diary songs. However, since all of my songs from the previous week had gone unused, John decided to use those instead. That meant that instead of Guadalcanal Diary/Murray Attaway songs from the 80's & 90's we were going to go all the way back to the 60's. Several weeks ago I had done garage rock from the 80's. I had followed that up with power pop from the 70's, so it only seemed logical to continue the trip in the "way back machine" and go for garage rock from the 60's. The majority of songs that I chose came from the many different "Nuggets" compilations from Rhino records. Here is what we played:


The Outsiders - Time Won't Let Me
The Syndicate Of Sound - Little Girl
The Blues Magoos - (We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet
Status Quo - Pictures Of Matchstick Men
The Move - I Can Hear The Grass Grow
Marmalade - I See The Rain
Davy Jones & The Lower Third - You've Got A Habit Of leaving
Lyme & Cybelle - Follow Me
The Beau Brummels - Just A Little
The Merry-Go-Round - Live
Love - Alone Again Or
Paul Revere & The Raiders - Just Like Me
The Mothers Of Invention - Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance

There were an additional four songs that I had tried to play, but for whatever reason, they never made it. Those four were:


The Knickerbockers - Lies
The Music Machine - Talk Talk
The Cyrkle - Red Rubber Ball
The Grass Roots - Let's Live For Today


John's guest next week will be Bob Nyswonger. Bad Bob is a talented songwriter and an amazing musician. He is the bassist for many of my favorite bands, including The Raisins, The Bears, The Graveblankets, Psychodots, Bucket and Tickled Pink! I will be playing several Nyswonger penned tunes on next week's show (and maybe even some he didn't write). I'm definitely looking forward to this interview and who knows? Maybe we'll get an extra treat and get a track or two from the soon to be released Tickled Pink record. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment