Wednesday, August 1, 2012

July 30, 2012 - What would we do without the Ladies?

Another Monday Night, Another Independents Uncovered and Another Donohue's Music Den! This week John's guest was Alex Wong. John had interviewed Alex a couple years ago, along with Amber Rubarth as The Paper Raincoat. This time, he concentrated on Alex's other work. It was a good interview but seemed a little choppy and I'm sure there was a lot cut for time.
My segment came up at 9pm and this time all my songs had a female name in the title. What would music be without Girl Songs, right? It's always a good fallback when I need one. To change things up a little bit, John went right into the first song after the BB's Donohue Show Theme, rather than bringing me on and talking first. This way we had something to talk about, for a change. We also had another work in progress from the Luca Boys. I can't wait till their album comes out!
So, what did I play? Here is what I played: The Hollies - Dear Eloise Something Happens - Esmerelda Brian Charles - Cinny Monkeeman - Crazy Ann The Luca Boys - Dorothy (song cut at 43 seconds) Lou Luca - Dorothy Rick Altizer - Amy And Her Baggage Foo Fighters - Dear Rosemary All Day Sucker - Camila Rose Ruth Ruth - Turning To Eva dada - Mary Sunshine Rain The Beach Boys - Caroline No Morphine - Sheila The Graveblankets - Claudia Robyn Hitchcock - Sally Was A Legend Alejandro Escovedo - Rosalie
For the 2nd week in a row, the song from The Luca Boys didn't download properly and we didn't get to hear the whole thing. Last week we hear most of the song, but last night we only heard 43 seconds of Dorothy before it stopped. Fortunately, we had an older version of the song(MUCH older) that we were able to play. The version we played was done in the 80's and sounded like it, but there's nothing wrong with the 80's!
As usual, I have no idea what I will be playing next week. I do know that I will be playing at least one song from Wing Beat Fantastic, the brand new album from Mike Keneally. On this album, Keneally collaborated with XTC's Andy Partridge. They co-wrote eight songs together. Unfortunately, Partridge chose not to participate in the recording of the album, but it still sounds great! I hope you tune in to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment