Monday, March 16, 2009

March 16, 2009 - Arrogance at 40!



Action packed show tonight. Tonight's interview, The Young Rebel Goombahs, were on in the second hour, so that meant I got the 8:00pm hour tonight. That meant that instead of my usual 35-40 minutes, I actually got an hour of air time, which meant more talking and MORE MUSIC!

John started off my segment by playing A Chance, by The BB's, which was a pleasant surprise. After that, we played tribute to Lou Luca's friend Bobby Guida. Bobby passed away last week very suddenly. I had the good fortune to meet him last December and he was a great guy. I'm very happy to have met him. He and Lou were very good friends and like Lou, he was a musician. Unfortunately, Bobby and Lou recorded very little together. One of the things they did record was a cover of Buddy Holly's Well All Right. I am very honored to be able to play this song and to dedicate the show to the memory of Bobby Guida!

I will be travelling to Durham, North Carolina on Saturday to see Arrogance at the Carolia Theater. Arrogance was one of the biggest bands in North Carolina but they never managed to break through to a national audience. They broke up in 1983 after a fourteen year career. This show is their 40th anniversary reunion concert, reuiniting Don Dixon, Robert Kirkland, Marty Stout, Scott Davison and Rod Abernathy. They will be joined on stage by Parthenon Huxley, Mitch Easter, Pete Holsapple, Chris Stamey, Dave Adams, Debra DeMilo and original Arrogance members Mike Greer and Jimmy Glasgow.

Last week's show was centered on last week's concert, The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, so it made sense that this week's show would be based around this week's concert, Arrogance. I went all the way back to their 1st single in 1970 and also featured some of the other artists who will be performing. Next week's show will probably cover the songs that did not get played this week. Here is what I played:

The BB's - A Chance
Bobby Guida and Lou Luca - Well All Right
Arrogance - Black Death
Don Dixon - Bad Reputation
The db's - Love Is For Lovers
Arrogance - We Live To Play
Arrogance - Slaughtered Elves
Arrogance - Praying Mantis
Let's Active - Route 67
Don Dixon- Jean Harlow's Return


John sent Don Dixon am email about the show and he actually tuned in. I hope he liked what he heard. I'm really looking forward to the show on Saturday. I've seen Dixon three times as a solo artist and I've seen Pete Holsapple with The Continental Drifters and Steve Wynn, but have never seen any of the other artists on the bill. It should be a great show and since I didn't discover Arrogance until long after they broke up, I can't believe I'm actually getting a chance to see them. Very cool!

Here is a youtube link to a local tv piece that was done on them when they broke up in 1983: www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY_oknteNA8

Here is the band website: www.arrogancerocks.com

And finally, this is Don Dixon's website: www.dondixonmusic.com

Next Monday I will be in Sarasota, Florida. I'll be down there for spring training and will be looking forward to warm weather, baseball and doing next weeks show poolside. Till then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment