Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March 9, 2009 - preview of the T.S.O.O.L./Cocktail Slippers concert


Sunday was my birthday and on Monday's show John sang "Happy Birthday" to me Marilyn Monroe style. Fortunately no one was hurt during that stunt, except maybe for a couple eardrums.

On Thursday, I'm going to the Bowery Ballroom with Lizzie Bratko, Frank Buquicchio and Rudy Garcia. We're going to see Swedish band The Soundtrack Of Our Lives(T.S.O.O.L.). Opening for them is Cocktail Slippers, who are an all-girl band from Oslo, Norway. I knew nothing about this band until last week when I found out they were opening. What I read about them were that they sounded like what would happen if The Shangri-La's were backed by The Runaways or if The Go-Go's were backed by The Stooges. That sounded pretty interesting to me.

So, in honor of the upcoming concert, I decided to play music from both of those bands plus two other Swedish bands, Union Carbide Productions and Caesars. Union Carbide Productions was a band from the late 80's-early 90's that was heavily influenced by the Stooges. When they broke up, half of the band, singer Ebbot Lundberg and the two guitarists, Bjorn Olsson and Ian Persson formed The Soundtrack Of Our Lives. Caesars is a band that is also known as Caesars Palace AND Twelve Caesars in different parts of the world. Their latest album was produced by Ebbot Lundberg, so that made them a worthy addition to this weeks show. The music played was:

Caesars - Down Down Down
Union Carbide Productions - Anytime
Cocktail Slippers - St. Valentine’s Day Massacre
T.S.O.O.L - Firmament Vacation
T.S.O.O.L - Mind The Gap
Cocktail Slippers - Hey
T.S.O.O.L - Legend In His Own Mind


I'm really looking forward to the concert. The Soundtrack Of Our Lives are one of the best live acts I've seen. I've seen them three times before, but Frank, Liz and Rudy have never seen them and I'm anxious to hear what they think of them.

Next week's show will have another concert feel, to go with the Arrogance concert that I am going to on March 21st. Time to start planning for next week's show...

No comments:

Post a Comment