Friday, June 19, 2009

June 15, 2009 - Passing through Fairfax


It was back to the studio for me again this week. Since I was heading back down to Florida for the week, I decided to stop in Virginia on the way down. I’ll also be in studio next Monday on my way back home. By then, I figure John will be as sick of me as I am of him…….just kidding…..


Anyway, on to the show! John’s original guest for this week was to be Richard X. Heyman, but he had to postpone for a week. Instead of RXH, John booked the local band HeLO, but unfortunately, they also had to cancel. That meant that there would be no guest at all. We had our usual “banter” throughout the show but music-wise, John played his stuff and then I played mine.


At one point, I was complaining about John choice of songs putting me to sleep. I told him that we needed to WAKE UP, which gave me the idea to start my segment with the XTC song Wake Up, which I hadn’t planned on playing. Around 8:20 or so, John threw me a bone and played three songs that he wouldn’t have known about if not for me. Those songs were:

The BB’s – Save Myself
Richard X. Heyman – Kenyon Walls
Richard X. Heyman – Everywhere She Goes



The last song John played was I Want You (That Thing You Do) by The Wonders, from the soundtrack to the film, That Thing You Do. Then at 9:10pm, he played the “Donohue Theme Song” (which was done by playing it from his laptop through headphones, and then holding the headphones up to the microphone) and turned the music over to me. My original goal was to only play music that I had picked up in the last couple weeks, but that changed slightly by the time the show started. Here is what I played:

XTC – Wake Up
Tinted Windows – Messing With My Head
The Solarflares – Girl In A Briefcase
The Sherbs – We Ride Tonight
The A’s – A Woman’s Got The Power
Marshall Crenshaw – Gasoline Baby
Peter Holsapple & Chris Stamey – Here And Now
Beatnik Beatch – Beatnik Beatch
The Fire Marshals Of Bethlehem – State Fair
The Smithereens – It’s A Boy
The Smithereens – You Can’t Do That



When I started playing We Ride Tonight, by The Sherbs, John’s jaw dropped and he said “Is this that song that goes…Because The Ride Has Just Begun”. I told him yes, that was the song. He then said that he had been looking for this song for about 20 years and can’t believe that I was playing it on the show. Needless to say, that cd was left for the week in Virginia, so John would have a week to listen to it over and over and over.


I am spending this week in Jacksonville. On Saturday night I’m finally going to get a chance to see The BB’s play live (it’s about time!). By next Monday, my vacation will be just about over and I will be back in the studio with John again. The guest will be Richard X. Heyman. It should be a very interesting interview and I’m definitely looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment