Wednesday, June 3, 2009

June 1st - The First Anniversary Show


I can't believe it's been a year already. On May 19, 2008, the very first Donohue's Music Den segment aired on Independents Uncovered. When it started, I was supposed to play three songs per week, say a little bit about the songs and then get off the air. Somehow it has mutated into what it has become today. The three songs I played on that very first show were Point Of View by The BB's, Concubine by Julia Greenberg and Hope It Works Out by Psychodots. Each of those acts are still a big part of this show. In fact, Ron and Lou from the BB's and Chris Arduser from Psychodots have been on the show and we hope to get Bob and Rob from Psychodots on the show in the near future.


For my first anniversary, John was kind enough to give me the whole show (well, the whole show except for one song that he wanted to play). I made the journey down to Fairfax, Va on Monday afternoon. I got to John's place, had a bite to eat and a couple drinks and we were off to the station. I had decided to split the two and a half hours into 3 different segments. The first, from 7:30-8:00 would be nothing but cover songs. From 8-9pm I would be playing music from my past. The mid-90's NYC music scene that I was involved in (aka the Paul & Amy years). Then from 9-10pm I had a special surprise followed by music from bands that I tend to play a lot on the show.


In addition to everything else, Lou Luca and Ron Cianciaruso each recorded a special little anniversary song for me. John went a little overboard and played Lou's song FIVE times during the night, but it means so much to me to have such great friends who have now immortalized me in song several times. Thanks Lou! Thanks Ron! You have no idea how touched I am by that. Anyway, here is what I ended up playing on Monday:


Cover Songs
The Connells - I Got You (Split Enz)
Material Issue - Bus Stop (The Hollies)
The Knack - That Thing You Do (The Wonders)
Adrian Belew - If I Fell (The Beatles)
Richard Thompson - Oop! I Did It Again (Britney Spears)
Bill Lloyd - Picture Book (The Kinks)
Material Issue - I'd Wait A Million Years (The Grass Roots)



My Misspent Youth
Grummer - Ah, Maria
Cheater - The Long Grift (live)
Valentine Smith - Back On Earth
Bloodsugar - Dream In Blue
Joan Osborne - His Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles
Julia Greenberg - Stars
Hedwig And The Angry Inch - Random Number Generation (Miriam Shor on vocals)
Valentine Smith - Ahead Of Her Time
Grummer - The Motivator
Trusty - Serendipity
Cheater - The Hours And Times



The Rest
The BB's - Save Myself
The Bears - Veneer
Psychodots - Terminal Blvd.
Steve Wynn & The Dragon Bridge Orchestra - That's What You Always Say
Morphine - Candy
The Strike Nineteens - Screams For Denver (John's selection)
Hoodoo Gurus - I Want You Back
Moxy Fruvous - Johnny Saucep'n
The Red Button - Hopes Up
Bob Mould - See A Little Light
Jamie Hoover & Bill Lloyd - Show And Tell The World
Treat Her Right - I Think She Likes Me



I sat next to Paul Rosselli at work from 1992-1995 and he exposed me to so much good music in that period that I can't do enough to thank him. In addition to his day job, he managed Joan Osborne and Cheater and also worked with Valentine Smith and Bloodsugar along with Amy Siegel. From May 1993 to February 1999 I saw Cheater play close to 50 times and they were a big part of my life at the time. I was there when they played to 4 people. I was there when they decided to change their name to Manwich (and quickly changed back to Cheater). I was there when they played Origin Of Love for the first time. I was there for the beginnings of Hedwig and The Angry Inch. They were they guys that made me realize that I NEED live music in my life and that I need to have a band that I can always go see when I need that fix. Right now that band is Frantic!, but back then it was Cheater.


I want to thank everyone who made my anniversary show such a success. The evening started with Dave McKinley calling the station because he was having trouble getting the feed to load. It was GREAT talking to you, Dave. Later on, we tricked Lou Luca into going on the air and talking about the BB's song Save Myself. He had absolutely NO IDEA that he was going on the air. Sorry for blindsiding you Lou, but it was the only way to actually get you on the air.


I also want to thank all the musicians from my past, present and future: Scott Bilbrey, Dave McKinley, Stephen Trask, Chris Weilding (and Jack Slack-may he rest in peace), Bill McGarvey, Stephen Dima, Brad Finkel, Wilbur Jones, Lorenza Ponce, Claudia Chopek, Ann Klein, Laura McDonald, KB Breitenfeld, Julia Greenberg, Miriam Shor, Joan Osborne, Ron Cianciaruso and Lou Luca. And I can't forget Paul Rosselli and Amy Siegel. This couldn't have happened without you.


I also want to thank all the regular listeners and followers, Lizzie Bratko, Evil Demented Bunny, Peter Coia, Barbara Damon, Rudy Garcia, Tam Barlow, my parents, my siblings and all my other friends out there. And one final HUGE Thank you to Rich Tully for digging up all the Cheater (and Bloodsugar) pictures that are used here. These photos were taken between 1993 and 1997 and seeing them again brought back so many memories.


I'm looking forward to year two and the surprises and great guests that it will bring. Don Dixon will be John's guest next week so my playlist for the week will include artists that he has produced through the years. I hope you can tune in!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike, Thanks for including Valentine Smith in your show. Any ideas what Paul and Amy are doing now?
    BMcG

    ReplyDelete