Tuesday, June 9, 2009

June 8, 2009- Don Dixon.....This is your life!


On this show, John interviewed one of my favorite musicians, Don Dixon. Don was a member of the band Arrogance for 13 years then went solo, had an "MTV hit" with Praying Mantis in the mid-80's, and is a well known producer, having produced REM, The Smithereens, Guadalcanal Diary, Moxy Fruvous, Tommy Keene, Matthew Sweet, The Reivers and many many more!

I've seen Dixon perform several times, most recently with Arrogance back in March. Last year I saw him with his band The Jump Rabbits (Jamie Hoover and Jim Brock) and I saw him a couple times at the Bottom Line back in the 90's (along with his wife Marti Jones). His album Romeo At Julliard is one of my all-time favorite albums and several of the albums he's produced are right up there on my best-of lists. I've been looking forward to this interview ever since John told me about it, which was right after I basically forced him to go see Don and The Jump Rabbits at Jammin Java back in April. I'm pretty sure John does not regret going to that show.


Unfortunately, I missed most of the interview because I had a softball game in NYC (we won). I got home in time to hear the very end of the interview. Fortunately John was able to send me a link so I could listen to the interview this morning. If you missed it, it was a very good interview. Great insights, great stories and a very interesting guy.

Because I was late getting home, and the Dixon interview was so good it ran over, I didn't go on until almost 9:30, but John didn't feel like leaving the station. So we ended up going until 11pm, which gave me an hour and a half to play 18 songs!

These are the songs John played before and during the Dixon interview:
Guadalcanal Diary - Lips Of Steel
The Smithereens - Elaine
The Reivers - In Your Eyes
Don Dixon - Praying Mantis
Marti Jones & Don Dixon - Love Is An Ocean
Don Dixon - 300 Pounds Of Joy
Don Dixon - Kitchen


And this is what we played after the interview
Guadalcanal Diary - Litany (Life Goes On)
The Smithereens - Crazy Mixed-Up Kid
The Smithereens - Hand Of Glory
Dumptruck - Alone
The Spongetones - Where-Ever Land
Moxy Fruvous - Splatter, Splatter
The Hang Ups - Blue Sky
The Connells - Dial It
The Reivers - Saturday
Marti Jones - Any Kind Of Lie
Richard Barone - Something Happens
R.E.M. - Letter Never Sent
Tommy Keene - Faith In Love
Marshall Crenshaw - Calling Out For Love (At Crying Time)
Don Dixon - Heart In A Box
Let's Active - Co-Star
Marti Jones - Songs To Aging Children Come
The Smithereens - White Castle Blues



That's a total of 25 songs, all produced by Don Dixon. Not bad at all! Richard X. Heyman was supposed to be the guest next week but he had to postpone until June 22nd. So instead of RXH, local DC area band HeLO will be John's guest next Monday. It's still too early for me to know what I'll be playing next week but I'll figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment