Tuesday, November 2, 2010

November 1, 2010 - Saying Goodbye To The 80's


I decided to squeeze one more week out of my trip back to high school, so I sent John a few more songs. That gave us enough to get a third week out of the totally cool 80's. Mostly it was laziness on my part. Why think of a new theme when I could just add a few songs to the ones that were left over from last week. That kept me from having to think about what to play.


John was late getting to the studio, which pushed everything back a little bit. It was about 8:15 before I went on. He played the "Donohue Theme", then went right into the first song before I came on. Here is what we played:


Icehouse - Can't Help Myself
Translator - Everywhere That I'm Not
The Bongos - The Bulrushes
Tommy Tutone - Which Man Are You
Tommy Tutone - 867-5309 (Jenny)
D.L. Byron - Listen To The Heartbeat
Utopia - Libertine
The Tubes - No Not Again
The Alarm - The Stand
Zebra - Tell Me What You Want
Re-Flex - The Politics Of Dancing
Classix Nouveaux - Guilty
After The Fire - Der Kommissar



I sent John 867-5309, knowing that he wouldn't want to play it. It did get played, but it was tought to hear. John played it in the background as we were talking. When the song ended, we continued with more music.


I gave John the opportunity to pick the final block of the evening, He chose Zebra, which kind of surprised me. I figured that would be my choice for the final song of the show. Besides that, he also chose the two most commercially accessible, songs that had the cheesiest 80's sound. But I've come to expect that from John.


I finished up with Der Kommissar, because that song brought back many memories of my junior year in high school. When everything was done, there were still 5 artists that didn't get played. Robert Hazard, Donnie Iris, Grace Slick, Eddie Jobson/Zinc and The Knack never managed to get into a playlist. Hopefully I can use them in the future.


For next week's show we will finally be leaving the 80's. John has suggested doing a show for our friend Barbara Ryan, where she gets to pick the music. Barbara, if you're up for that, I'm up for that too! See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment