Tuesday, November 16, 2010

November 15, 2010 - The Music Of Tom Waits


Last week's show was for Barbara Ryan and she loved our selections. I'm glad she enjoyed the show. This week I had to come up with something new. By Friday, I still had no idea what I was doing, so I decided to go with a theme that I have been threatening to do for about two years now. That theme is the music of Tom Waits.


Many people love Tom Waits. Some people can't stand him. His voice may be hard to take for some people, but there is no denying his songwriting talent. To show the greatness of his songs, I decided to choose his songs done by other people. I stayed away from the obvious choices like Rod Stewart, Bruce Springsteen or The Eagles. I went with things that would fit on my show.


Of course I couldn't go without Tom himself. My original plan was play other artists covering Tom Waits and also play Tom Waits covering other artists. Instead I did one hard to find Tom Waits recording from the Night On Earth Soundtrack, Tom Covering a Disney classic and his collaboration with Primus. Here is what was played:


The Ramones - I Don't Wanna Grow Up
Frank Black - The Black Rider
Moxy Fruvous - Jockey Full Of Bourbon
Petra Haden & Bill Frisell - I Don't Wanna Grow Up
Jill Hennessy - You're Innocent When You Dream
Southside Johnny & LaBamba's Big Band - Walk Away
Southside Johnny & The Jukes - New Coat Of Paint
Tom Waits - Heigh Ho (The Dwarfs March)
Jason Falkner - Johnsburg, Illinois
The Beat Farmers - Rosie
Tom Waits - Good Old World (Waltz)
Southside Johnny & LaBamba's Big Band - Shiver Me Timbers
Lucinda Williams - Hang Down Your Head
Firewater - Diamonds And Gold
Primus w/Tom Waits - Tommy The Cat



Walk Away was a duet with Tom Waits & Southside Johnny. Tom's version of Heigh Ho has scared several small chilren. The Ramones and Petra Haden & Bill Frisell both covered the same song but did it VERY differently. And the Lucinda Williams and Jill Hennessy songs both came from the soundtrack cd to Jill Hennessy's tv show, Crossing Jordan.


I got some very nice feedback on this show. Our friend Sammy really enjoyed my selections, as did my sister Julie. Next week we're back to square one. Once again I have no idea what I'll be playing. Anyone have any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!!
    This was great to listen on the show last monday, and now to read it.
    Thank you so very much Mike!!! I really enjoyed your selection; well, usually do :)
    As I've told to Johny already, if it was not because of you both guys, I'd have never had the chance to listen and get to know some of the great music and musicians you both play in the show. So, GRACIAS!!!! :)
    Wish you a GREAT weekend.
    BIG Hug!!!
    Sammy :)

    ReplyDelete