Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November 8, 2010 - All For The Love Of Barbara!


I spent the last three weeks re-living my youth by playing 44 songs from 1980-1984. The only reason why I stretched it out to three weeks was because I was lazy and didn't feel like figuring out something different to play. Since I had given John enough music for 3+ weeks, it made sense to play as many as possible


After last week's show John and I were discussing what to do for this week. He suggested we dedicate the show to our friend Barbara Ryan. Barbara has been one of our most dedicated listeners since Day One and this show was her reward!


For my segment I asked Barbara what she wanted to hear. I have a good idea of what I wanted to play, but I gave her the opportunity to send a few requests. Barbara gave me a list of what she DIDN'T want to hear and then gave me a few artists to steer me in the right direction. I took her suggestions and added my ususl twist to them, going for alternate versions and deep cuts instead of the obvious "hits". Here's what I came up with:


Karla Bonoff - Someone To Lay Down Beside Me
George Harrison w/Eric Clapton - If I Needed Someone (Live)
Robert Fripp w/Daryl Hall - North Star
Joni Mitchell w/The Band - Coyote (Live)
Bonnie Raitt - Three Time Loser
R.E.M. - Time After Time (Annelise)
Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood - Presence Of The Lord (Live)
Moody Blues - Send Me No Wine
Jeff Beck - Cause We've Ended As Lovers (Live)
Eric Clapton - Motherless children
Carole King - Home Again



Some of the songs that I didn't get to included a couple covers of Joni Mitchell songs, a Delbert McClinton cover, an obscure James Taylor track and one of my favorite songs from Traffic. Maybe these will eventually see the light of day and be used on a future show.


Barbara really enjoyed the show. She said it was the best one that we have done. I'm very happy we did this for her and I'm glad she enjoyed it. I also heard from Lou Luca, Ron Cianciaruso and Evil Demented Bunny and they all thought we did a good job, so I guess it was a good show. It was one that I truly enjoyed doing. Thank you for the inspiration Barbara. It was a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment