Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November 29, 2010 - Thanksgiving Leftovers


Last Thursday was Thanksgiving and I hope everyone had a nice one. Mine was spent with family and it was very nice. Because of the holiday and the travel plans of both John and myself, I knew I wasn't going to have time to figure out what to play and email John a bunch of songs. So instead I decided to make the theme of the show Thanksgiving Leftovers!


There have probably been close to 100 songs that have been in the mix for shows throughout the year but haven't been used. Most were cut simply because we ran out of time, since I tend to always send more than I need. It's better to have too many songs than to run out and be at John's mercy as to what gets played. This also made it easier for both of us because I did not have to email any songs. We were both able to enjoy our holiday and not worry about sending or downloading music.


Our friends Lou Luca and Al Knight were both listening last night. In addition to the eleven "leftovers" that we played, we also managed to throw in original music from their respective bands Yes Mistress (Al Knight & Carl Gabel) and The BB's (Lou Luca & Ron Cianciaruso). Thanks to both of them for listening and I'm glad we are able to play your music!


We took music from last weeks "songs under 2:30" show, the early November "Barbara Ryan" show, my "high school" shows from October, "new music" from September and even a song from our "Ronnie James Dio Tribute" show back in May. Here's what we played. See if you can figure out what show they belonged to originally.


Traffic - Shanghai Noodle Factory
Psychodots - Another Reminder
Saul Zonana - Thrill To Be Ill
Adrian Belew - Twang Bar King
Richard Thompson - Never Give It Up
The BB's - I See Your Love Is There
Yes Mistress - Noir
The Graveblankets - Most Important Saint
Guided By Voices - Motor Away
Elf - Carolina County Ball
The Knack - Just Wait And See
The Jam - All Mod Cons
The Red Button - She's Going Down



Al Knight requested Twang Bar King and fortunately I was able to play it, as it was left over from last weeks show about short songs. He also requested Pink Thing by XTC but unfortunately that song was not on John's hard drive. I'll have to play that one for him next week.


I was told that I made great choices tonight. Who knew that the songs that were cut from earlier shows would have been so good? Adding the songs from Yes Mistress and The BB's were a nice touch and a tribute to our two known listeners last night. Thanks go to John for realizing he had music from both Al & Lou and for playing them.


We've only got two shows left this year so I'll have to put some thought into what I want these shows to be. I've gotten some good suggestions. Does anyone else have a suggestion? I guess we'll have to see what I come up with. Hope to see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment