Friday, April 30, 2010

April 26, 2010 - A weekend spent with John!



I was not in the studio for Monday night's show but I could have been. John and I had a "music weekend" and if I could have taken another night on the uncomfortable futon, I would have stayed for the show. Instead I opted for my own bed and doing the show from the comfort of my own house. So, how was the weekend?


I drove down to Virginia on Thursday afternoon. That night we went to see Adrian Belew at Jammin' Java. It was a solo electric show and the 1st night of the mini tour. He was using a new rig for the first time and had many problems with it. I found the "experimental" feeling of the evening refreshing. I enjoyed myself and loved that he was surrounded on the stage by a bunch of his painting. John, on the other hand, didn't really enjoy himself. But that is the main difference between the two of us. After the show, we spoke to Adrian, who is always a great guy to talk to. John asked him to be on the show and he agreed. I showed him the wallpaper on my phone which is the Adidas In Heat painting and explained to him why I have it. He told me that he's very happy that painting found a good home because it was always one of his favorites. Very cool and Lou was thrilled to hear that!


The next day we drove down to Charlotte, NC to meet up with Jamie Hoover and Steve Stoeckel of The Spongetones (and Jamie & Steve). There were a couple mixups about what time we were meeting and where we were meeting, but in the end it all worked out. We met them at Jamie's house and recorded them there. The interview lasted a little over an hour and they played seven songs. It was AMAZING to be sitting there watching Jamie & Steve perform just for us and to be sitting 5 feet from them. Definitely a musical highlight for me. Thanks guys! You were awesome!


As we were leaving, we asked them where to go to see some good live music. They said they were going to see Chad & Jeremy at a theater in Shelby, NC on Saturday and we should join them. That was enough for John. We were definitely going. I don't think John had any idea who Chad & Jeremy were, but since he was born after they broke up, I guess that is understandable. As a music junkie and someone with 6 older siblings, I of course remember them. I also remember them from Their appearnaces on The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Patty Duke Show and Batman! The concert was a lot of fun and it was nice hanging out with Jamie, Steve and Steve's wife. I just wish we'd gotten a picture of the 1974 Pete Rose Clone that was in the audience.


On Sunday it was back to Virginia and nothing but relaxing. My good friends from the band Frantic! had a webcast on Sunday night from Bardi's in Pequannock, NJ. Since I had nothing else to do (and John was already asleep because he had to work Monday), I got to watch their webcest. They are a classic rock cover band and very good at what they do. They played six songs and it was a nice way to end the evening.


By Monday, I'd had enough, so I went back home and prepared for the show. John's guests were Soren & John from the band HELO. They went on after me and Soren embarassed himself when he used the "s" word. They were just there to talk. No live music this time. But HELo is a good band. Check em out www.helotheband.com.
Anyway, it's finally time to list what I played on this week's show. Here goes:


Crenshaw, Dixon, Hoover & Lloyd - Show And Tell The World
The Spongetones - Pick That Up For A Song
The Dukes Of Stratosphear - Vanishing Girl
Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
Richard & Linda Thompson - Don't Renege On Our Love
Love Sculpture - In The Land Of The Few
The Dead Weather - I Cut Like A Buffalo
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Ain't No Easy Way
Robert Pollard - Newly Selected Dirt Spots
Sloan - I'm Not A Kid Anymore


Jessie's Girl and Don't Renege On Our Love were played because both songs came up during the Jamie & Steve interview. To hear what they have to say, you'll have to wait until the Independent's Uncovered website is up and running. When it is, the interview will be posted there. I originally had plans for next Monday and was going to miss the show. But those plans were changed to Tuesday, so I'll be there on Monday. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment