Tuesday, July 10, 2012

July 9, 2012 - John interviews Kurt Reil, etc.

Now that I'm actually updating my blog again, I'm going to try to update it each week in a timely manner. We'll see if that actually happens, or if I get lazy again!
This week's show included John's interview with Kurt Reil of the Grip Weeds. During the interview he played three songs from the brand new live Grip Weeds cd, Speed Of Live. The songs that he played were Salad Days, The Law and Close To The Sun. I had a couple Grip Weeds songs lined up to play, but it was decided to go in a different direction.
When I was putting the music together for this show (which was actually about three weeks ago), I wasn't sure if I liked my selections. I thought I could have done better. Then after not thinking about these songs for almost three weeks, I went into the show thinking the same thing. Once the show started, I liked my choices more, but John told me I picked some great stuff this week. Does the fact that John Campbell liked my selections mean that I was correct in my original thinking? Maybe! Anyway, here are the songs that we ended up playing:
The Rooks - Down The Doughboys - Nobody's Girl Guided By Voices - Roll Of The Dice, Kick In The Head The Bongos - The Bulrushes The Rooks - Do You Have God? Richard X. Heyman - Branded In The Sky The Wyld Olde Souls - Give It To You Butterfly Jones - Wonder Throwback Suburbia - Setting Sun The Oohs - Saturday Morning Dream Possum Dixon - Executive Slacks Black Hllies - Paisley Pattern Ground
Originally, the Wyld Olde Souls song was supposed to be I Talk To The Wind (the King Crimson cover), but John misplaced that one so we played Give It To You Instead. I also suggested to him THREE TIMES that we playe Mr. Sad from the band True Love, but that never happened either. Maybe later in the summer these will see the light of day.
We do have a show next week. I know, it seems like we haven't been on two weeks in a row. We've only had 3 legitimate shows in our first 6 weeks back. But next week we will be here and we should be here for the rest of the summer. To change it up a little bit, I'm thinking of playing nothing but new stuff. Tune in next Monday to see if I follow through on that. Hope to see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment