Friday, July 6, 2012

June 18, 2012 - Cover To Cover

Tonight's show took place on Paul McCartney's birthday as well as John Campbell's birthday. One of them turned 70 and the other one turned 43. A couple years ago we did a show on my birthday and now John gets his due. As a special treat, Paul Weller recorded a version of The Beatles Birthday and made it available for purchase for just that one day. I told John that he should be honored to have Paul Weller do that for his 70th birthday. Then John reminded me that it was that OTHER GUY who turned 70. Oops! My bad. Either way, it was kinda cool to be able to play this song on the day of its release.
I had a couple songs that I wanted to play and they turned out to be cover songs. To make it easier on myself, I decided to play nothing but cover songs. It wasn't as easy as you might think. I started out with about 90 songs. I whittled that down to 50, and then took it down to 20. Of those 20, we played 16 of them. We got that many in because we ran over about half an hour. Here is a list of what we played, with the artist and song, along with the original artist in parentheses:
Paul Weller - Birthday (The Beatles) The Continental Drifters - I Can't Let Go (The Hollies) Blood Sugar - Manic Depression (Jimi Hendrix Experience) Def Leppard - Rock On (David Essex) Eddie Money - When I Come Around (Green Day) Styx - Find The Cost Of Freedom (Crosby, Stills & Nash) Whip - White Wedding (Billy Idol) The Wallflowers - Lawyers, Guns & Money (Warren Zevon) Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs - Second Hand News (Fleetwood Mac) Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy & Randy George - Lido Shuffle (Boz Scaggs) Juliana Hatfield & Tanya Donnelly - Josie & The Pussycats (Josie & The Pussycats) The Knack - I Knew The Bride (When She Used To Rock & Roll) (Dave Edmunds/Rockpile) Damone - Just What I Needed (The Cars) Pat DiNizio - For No One (The Beatles) Michael Carpenter & The Cuban Heels - Nature's Way (Spirit) Johnette Napolitano - Hurting Each Other (The Carpenters)
Next week John will be interviewing Kurt Reil from The Grip Weeds. I'm sure I'll come up with a few things that are directly related to Kurt and some other stuff that just sounds good. Hope you can tune in!

No comments:

Post a Comment